Tuesday 20 February 2007

Reverse Documentation

As part of the task list is to document the software architecture for the current WebPA which is in use here at Loughborough. I do have a month to do this documentation along with all the other tasks that have to be completed.

It has been a while since I have had to document any software architecture, so getting my brain into shape is interesting. I keep raking up information I forgot I knew when I learnt UML. But I am also learning more updating my UML skills to encompass UML 2.0. One thing I did forget is how difficult it can be reverse documenting the software architecture, especially when you weren’t there from the beginning.

At the moment I am just about able to document the functional view. This is mainly all of the use case diagrams, but I am sure that there is a mass of information I have left out somewhere. I do think that the worst bit though is trying to get the class diagram done. But what happens when you try to do something like this, the original developer goes on holiday. I think that I will have to leave this for now and come back to it later.

No comments: